skip to primary navigationskip to content
 

Successful identification of only full skeleton retrieved from Battle of Waterloo in 200 years

last modified Apr 22, 2015 09:36 PM
Successful identification of only full skeleton retrieved from Battle of Waterloo in 200 years

Rare discovery of full skeleton from the site of the Battle of Waterloo

From The Independent, 05 April 2015.

The 200-year-old skeleton found under a car park on the site of the Battle of Waterloo has been identified as a Hanoverian with a hunchback, fighting to liberate his homeland from Napoleonic occupation.

Military historian Gareth Glover believes the soldier to be Friedrich Brandt, 23, a private in the King's German Legion of George III, who was killed by a musket ball that was still lodged between his ribs when he was found in 2012.

Researchers identified a curvature of the spine but that didn't deter the man who Mr Glover believes was fighting for Britain to help liberate parts of his homeland that had been occupied by Napolean.

He said: 'He suffered from a curvature of the spine which meant he probably would have been rejected from any modern army in the world.'

Dominique Bosquet, an archaeologist working to recover the skeleton with the Walloon government in Belgium, said the find was 'unique'.

Read the full article here.

(James Dunn)

Upcoming events

Scots and Catalans

Nov 23, 2018

S2 Alison Richard Building

Churchill on Brexit

Nov 26, 2018

S1, Alison Richard Building

Upcoming events

« November 2018 »
November
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930